Wednesday, April 16, 2008

J. K. Rowling

... please please please stop acting like a neurotic idiot. Seriously, go to Portugal and find Madeleine McCann instead of trying to court sympathy here like the raving lunatic you are trying to portray yourself as. Your books are fine, but to think that by breaking down in court because you may lose sales is absurd. May I suggest a visit to the library or book store, where you will find countless of fair use books on other books and other third party derivatives of other books. If other authors (who are probably not as successful as you are) don't bitch about it (in fact most authors would be delighted if the same attention is given to them), I can't see why you should. Or is being richer than the Queen not enough?

I don't deny it. I enjoy Harry Potter books, but I classify them in the same section as Da Vince Code. They are entertaining, but as far as literary skills goes - are pretty damn poor. It's not like Harry Potter was an original concept anyway. The next time I read Harry Potter again, I will try to imagine it was written by a well behaved, respected and likeable literacy genius. Like Terry Pratchett, but that would be too insulting to Mr. Pratchett. Hell, I think I am going to celebrate this blog article by re-reading The Colour of Magic. Who's with me?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7769471&postID=111710981861072924&page=1

please kindly spare some time to read my comments on your post on sepet.

thank you.

Anonymous said...

(only the last comment authored "b" is by me. just a qualification ha.)

-b.

Jon Choo said...

All comments get sent to my e-mail, so don't worry - I've read it.

Anonymous said...

Quite a hypocrite this Rowling author is becoming of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_Platform_13

'Borrowed' wholesale the idea of a secret passageway to a magical kingdom in King's Cross station from this book, published three years before her first book.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Thank you for posting this. She said her characters were like her children. WTF?! Just goes to show she has no real sympathy for Madeleine or the McCanns, even if she gave a billion dollars to the effort. If she ever knew what it was like to lose a child, she would never ever compare her fictional kids to real children. Bitch.