Thursday, February 22, 2007

50 quid PS2 consoles at Asda today

I hate posting news, least of all anything that has got to do with Asda, but this is simply too important to pass up on. Asda is today selling PAL slimline PS2 consoles for £50. Yep, fifty bloody quid. They normally retail for £80, so you will be saving at least £30.

This is just too cheap to ignore, and anyone who doesn't already own one or is thinking of replacing their massive launch PS2 units should get one. With a built-in LAN port and infrared receiver, the slimline version is about the size of two DVD case stacked. Sure the PS2 as a platform is a dying breed but it hasn't been abandoned yet like the Xbox or GameCube. There are still plenty of great titles that were just released (Okami, God Hand, Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2) and many more coming soon (God of War II, Final Fantasy XII and Rogue Galaxy).

If there was an Asda nearby me I would even buy one just so I can offload the old one to eBay.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I just bought a used PS2 last week.

FF XII next week and GOW 2 next month!

RichardAM said...

I'm going to be buying another one soon.

Technological progress scares me completely, and with no intention of ever getting a PS3, I want to have a "spare" PS2 to play games in years time.

Now on my second PS2, maybe I should buy five just to be extra safe? And hey, it's still cheaper than the PS3!

Anonymous said...

Dun sell ur old massive console, its much better than the slim version as it has better heat dispersion and can last longer than it.

-Uncle Ho's Apprentice-

Jon Choo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jon Choo said...

I have a slim version actually. Works better than the massive one, less noise and faster too.

@ Richard, well never say never. I think I once vowed never to return to console gaming and look where I ended up! Plus where else can I play the next Ico/SotC game?

tokyo_nights said...

50 quid..that's around RM 350. Slim PS2s are selling for twice that amount in Malaysia. I would buy one at the drop of a hat if there's such an offer over here. :)

Jon Choo said...

I would have thought that PS2s will be cheaper in Malaysia. Should have got one to flog it over.

living-in-the-uk said...

i don't see it on the website now ?or is it no more sale ?

Jon Choo said...

It was a limited stock offer only for yesterday at their brick stores. Sorry!

QUIK! said...

i remember seeing this offer but hesitated, and now since my DVD player is a bit wonky, a 50 quid DVD player that looks sleek won't harm! damn!

Jon Choo said...

A £30 DVD player from Richer Sounds is probably a better option than a PS2 if you aren't buying it for the games.

QUIK! said...

it can also double as a game console for an additional 20, that's great deal isnt it? Can I get it modded back in KL? :D

Jon Choo said...

Yep, just so you know though the DVD quality playback isn't that awesome, plus a £10 Sony remote control is essential.

No idea about the modding part. My PS2 is legal. :)

Anonymous said...

Damn bugger missed that, need to replace my giant PS2!

Anonymous said...

Even cheaper than the US. Europe, stop complaining for once!